Backed up sewers can destroy valuable property from your home or business, causing thousands of dollars in loss from floors and walls, to furniture and electricity systems. If your need to fix your sewer line, you could visit this website to learn more about sewer backups.
Sewage can get into houses from sanitary sewer lines through drain pipes, not only causing damage that is hard and expensive to repair, but putting in danger anyone´s health. Most of the house owners and business owner’s insurance policies don´t cover sewer backup unless there is a specific sewer backup coverage added to the insurance policy.
These are the most common causes of sewer backups:
1. Blockages due to tree roots: roots from trees will seek for rehydration, they can get into sewer line cracks causing several damages. At first, they start small, but as the tree continues growing and absorbing water from the sewer line, so does the root destroying it.
2. Combined pipelines: This happens when you combine stormwater and raw sewage into the same pipeline. Rainy days are the cause of this problems because the systems are exposed to carry more than they should, causing sewage to explode into basements.
3. sanitary sewer system: A blockage can happen in a city sanitary sewer system. If you do not notice the blockage on time, sewage from sewer system can back up into houses and business through floor drains. Usually, it happens slowly, giving you time to call a licensed plumber to assess the damage.
Ways to prevent backups in your lateral and the city main sewer system:
1. Disposing of grease properly: after cooking with oil, pour it into a heat-resistant container. Once is already cooled off, throw it away in the trash can not in the drain. Also, when you´re washing grease down the drain with hot water, may cause several problems. As soon as the oil cools off, it will solidify the sewer line clogging it.
2. Replace your sewer line with a new plastic pipe: one way to prevent tree roots from cracking your sewer line is to replace your line and cover it with new plastic pipe. Also, you need to cut all the roots, bushes or trees that can cause this problem.
3. Illegal plumbing connections: do not connect French drains or other flood control system to your sanitary sewer. It will double cost you because debris will clog your line. Contact a plumber for any illegal connection.
What to do when there is a sewer flood at home:
1. Vacuum all the wet floors and spots.
2. Mop floors and clean walls with disinfectant
3. Remove wet carpets or drapes.
4. Remove and repair damaged wall covering.
Most homeowners might not realize that they’re the only responsible for the maintenance of their sewer line. A broken sewer line or one covered in tree roots can cause severe water damage allowing groundwater to get into the sewer system making the problem worse. If you tried to fix the problem but still couldn´t solve it, it´s recommended to call a professional to take care of the situation. This video shows the function of a sewer system and its maintenance.